Managing the risks of oil and gas exploration, production and transport involves a quantitative assessment of the consequences of all major hazards that have the potential to damage the integrity of the asset and cause harm to personnel.
The most dangerous hazards associated with both offshore and onshore oil and gas facilities are those associated with the loss of containment of hydrocarbon products and their subsequent ignition. As the demand for global energy drives us into more inhospitable fields – deeper water, higher pressure reserves, and more sour streams – an understanding of these risks becomes even more crucial to the safe design of the asset.
BMT’s services were called upon to provide expert advice to the inquiry into the Piper Alpha incident, following which radical changes were made to North Sea safety regulations. Through this experience, BMT is extremely familiar with safety issues relevant to both offshore and onshore oil and gas developments.Consequence analysis provides quantitative information on the risk and potential hazards that could be caused by dispersion, fire and blasts. With this information, it is possible to improve the original design, incorporate mitigation measures, or devise hazard and management strategies to keep the risk at acceptable levels. BMT provides comprehensive consultancy and consequence evaluation services in support of design from FEED through to detailed design engineering. These services help HSE specialists and engineers make informed decisions at every stage of the design process.
- Hydrocarbon fire scenarios (e.g. Jet fires, pool fires)
- Smoke propagation
- Blast analysis
- Probabilistic analysis
- Turbine exhaust
- Flare radiation
- Pipeline rupture and subsequent depressurisation and jet dispersion (including multi-phase analysis)
- Gas dispersion (toxic and flammable)
- Assessment of gas detector location and suitability
- Ventilation and HVAC operability
- Computation Fluid Dynamics and wind tunnel testing
- Hazard and consequence analysis
- Personnel exposure to toxic gases and high temperatures
- Positioning of gas detection systems
- Thermal loads
- Blast loads
- Impact of hazards on escape routes and safe areas
- Impact on helicopter operations
- Risk and mitigation of hazards and consequences
Contact BMT Fluid Mechanics
Email: BMT Fluid Mechanics